When creating an automation project, it is likely that you've
got existing data in databases or spreadsheets that you want to
reuse, you can create Tables using the Table Editor which
can represent static data, or data which is pulled dynamically from
external databases such as Microsoft SQL Server.
DriveWorks allows the following types of table to be created
- Rollup Data Table - Allows data from embedded child specifications to be passed directly to the table.
- Simple Table - Creates a blank worksheet in which data can be typed or copied and pasted from compatible sources.
- Excel data Table - Imports data from an Excel spreadsheet. Once imported the data can be edited directly in DriveWorks.
- ODBC Data Table - Creates a link to a database that connects using ODBC. See How To: Setup a DSN-Access or How To: Setup a DSN-SQL Server for more information.
- SQL Server Data Table - Creates a link directly to a SQL Server database. Once selected the wizard will guide you through connecting to all SQL Servers that are visible to the computer.
The ODBC Data Table and SQL Server Data Table wizards include an option to refresh the data each time the project is opened. Beginning a new specification also opens the project and so the data is refreshed at this time also when this option is checked.
To Add a New Table
Click the "Add" button on the command bar to launch the new
table wizard, select the Template table to use, fill in the name,
and click Next or Finish to continue through the wizard.
Once the table has been created, the table editor will switch
into Edit mode.
In edit mode you can cut/copy/paste data to external systems,
and fill in values in a similar way to a traditional spreadsheet.
When you are done, you can use the "OK" button to return to the
To Edit a Table
- Select the table to edit.
- Click the "View/Edit" button on the command bar.
- The table editor goes into edit mode just as it did when the
table was originally added.
To Rename a Table
- Select the table to rename.
- Click the "Rename" button on the command bar.
- Enter a new name.
- Press Return to confirm the rename operation.
Renaming a table will scan all rules and replace any occurrence of the old name with the new name.
If DriveWorks detects that this could cause a delay, then the following message will be displayed.
Updating table names in rules is only supported when renaming project tables.
Renaming Group Tables, for example, will not scan every project in the group.
To Delete a Table
- Select the table to delete.
- Click the "Delete" button on the command bar.
When fractions are required in a table, that are to be used in
further calculations, include a column where the decimal equivalent
of the fraction can be looked up and used in any calculation.
A Combo Box is required to be populated with a list of sizes
using the fraction format. When a size is selected from the combo
box, 2.5 is to be added to the value to obtain the overall
- Create a table with the sizes to be selected from the combo box
in one column and the decimal equivalent in the next column
- Add a combo box to the user form and use the ListAll function
to list all the values from the first column
- Create a variable to Lookup the selected size and report the
decimal equivalent, and then add 2.5 to this value.
A method for storing tabular data.
The editor which is shown when a table is edited in the Define
Tables task in the Project Designer.